Tuesday, December 06, 2005

J. Crew

J. Crew's late September catalog included about seven fur items, despite the cruelty inherent in the production of fur and a long-standing pledge on the part of J. Crew NOT to sell it. Real fur has been taboo for quite some time, and the fur J. Crew was selling came from China where the fur industry is largely unregulated and animals are often skinned alive. We all know how much I love J. Crew, but I love both animals and principles more. So I boycotted, threw around words like "unconscionable" and "reprehensible," then wrote some angry letters to J. Crew about how I was thoroughly disgusted by their promotion of cruelty to animals and by their implicit message that being fashionable is more important than being ethical.

However. . .

Steve just informed me that, in response to mounting pressure from PETA and concerned citizens like myself, J. Crew has abandoned its evil quest to profit from the pain and suffering of innocent coyotes and the like. Good news! This would have been nice to know yesterday when I was at the mall -- instead of walking by J. Crew and glaring I could have popped in and fed my cashmere sweater addiction. And the rest of you may now resume shopping at J. Crew with my blessing.