Sunday, March 05, 2006

Giving up on Lent

Hi, my name is Megan and I am a recovering Catholic.

One of the last vestiges of my Catholic upbringing is that I feel compelled to acknowledge Lent -- to show some sort of weird solidarity with Jesus and his 40 days of desert solitude (or whatever the hell Lent is about).

On Tuesday, after careful consideration, I decided to give up the f-word for Lent, which began on Wednesday and ends on Easter. I considered this plan ambitious, although Mama (who doesn't even give anything up for Lent!) reminded me that Lent is supposed to be a time of sacrifice, as if doing without the F-word for 40 days is an easy undertaking.

On Friday, after a concerted but unsuccessful effort to curtail my use of the f-word, I decided to give up on Lent entirely. I think it's better this way. I need the f-word for certain situations: dealing with an overall crappy week; having to talk (pleasantly!) for HOURS to a guy who recently graduated from UVA (the University) and claims to have actually read Ulysses (puh-leaze); explaining to a colleague that yes, in fact, students do have a constitutionally protected right not to stand for the pledge of allegiance, and yes, actually I can understand why someone would not want to stand for "our country".

So there you have it. . .I guess I'm going to hell. Fuck.

1 comment:

Brian said...

why the fuck would you want to stop saying fuck? it's fucking impossible to not immediately want to say fuck as much as fucking possible when anything remotely fucked up has happened, or when shit has just gotten so fucked up that your gut instinct is to just say, "Fuck, fuck, fuckety fuck fuck." you must be fucking crazy