Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Daydream Believer

I am not an outdoorsy kind of person. I do not like hiking, rock-climbing, skiing, camping, or any of your typical outdoorsy activities. That being said, there are few places I would rather be than outdoors. But I just like to sit there, preferably with a drink or a book (or both) in hand. I love love love being outside. In fact, most of the restaurants and bars I frequent were chosen primarily for their outdoor seating. Given an outside option, I will almost always take it.

As a kid, I was the kind of girl you'd find staring out the windows longing for fresh air. I am now the kind of teacher you'll still find staring longingly out the windows on particularly beautiful days. When I taught at a school that didn't suck, I was even the kind of teacher who planned her September - October and April - June lessons around the premise that those lessons would be delivered outside and who confidently left notes on her door that read "Miss [my last name]'s class is outside enjoying nature," knowing that anyone who needed me would easily find me in my usual spot.

I mention this because today was one of those heartbreakingly beautiful days on which it pains me to remain inside. The sky was bright blue with big puffy white clouds, there was hardly any humidity, and the water temp was 70 with an onshore breeze. And I had to work. Inside.

I spent the day expounding on my theory that nobody should have to do anything when the weather's this nice. It's a theory I genuinely subscribe to. In my ideal world, a beautiful day would mean a day off for everyone. I know it's totally unrealistic, but I think on a gorgeous day the world should just stop so that everyone can enjoy it. The lady at the pizzeria pointed out that this is impractical. "My mortgage company don't see it that way," she lamented. I tried to explain that in my world, her mortgage company is sitting on the beach too, so it's kind of a wash. She didn't seem convinced.

So I went back to the bookstore and immersed myself in Calvin & Hobbes for the rest of the day. If I couldn't be outside, at least I could be among like-minded cartoon people.

2 comments:

vikkitikkitavi said...

I'm with you.

Part of the reason I've been in the dumps lately is that this crazy-ass heatwave has kept me inside in the AC. I hate AC!

GETkristiLOVE said...

Funny, I am very much an outdoorsy person and I love to be outside except when I eat (at a restaurant, that is). I always ask for the inside option. I don't know what it is - wind, bugs, whatever - I don't like to eat outside!