Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Come November 4th, 2008, I Will Be $100 Richer

My dad, die-hard Republican and defense contractor extraordinaire, is in town overnight for a briefing tomorrow. He took me to dinner this evening and we got to talking about politics (imagine that). This is a topic that usually does not end well for us (see the die-hard Republican bit above). However, this discussion of politics was oddly civilized. At one point my dad even said, "You may have a point there," which is a phrase I don't think I've ever heard him utter before. The most heated portion of our chat involved a discussion of whether the Democrats will regain control of Congress in the midterm elections (um, hellooooo, we're talking 32% approval ratings here. . .of course the Democrats are going to regain control of Congress) and what will happen in the 2008 election.

Here's where the $100 comes in:

Dad: And you think that momentum will continue right up until we get stuck with Hillary?

Me: (laughing incredulously through a mouth full of beer) Hillary?! I don't even think Hillary can get the nomination.

Dad: Huh?

Me: Well, for starters, she's a woman. And also, the Democrats have this strategy of running only namby-pamby, pandering to the middle wuss-bags, which Hillary actually is, but conservatives hate her so much there's no way the Dems would nominate her.

Dad: She's exactly like her husband. Everything she does is politically motivated. She has no conscience.

Me: I don't exactly think Bush has a conscience.

Dad: He does, you just don't like it. I think Hillary will run, and I think she'll win.

Me: You mean the election? The presidency?!

Dad: Yes.

Me: No way. There is no way we're electing a female president. Not anytime soon.

Dad: In 2008.

Me: Care to put some money on that?

So the bet is for $100. I asked my dad if we were betting on the nomination or the election. He said it didn't matter, he'd be happy to take my money either way.

Dad, honey, Hillary's a girl. You are so gonna owe me $100.

3 comments:

Brian said...

Dude, Dad is such a wack-job. At some point (over the weekend I think), he tried to convince me that he's always been registered as a Democrat.

This is so far beyond laughable, I don't even know where to begin.

This got started when we were watching one of the thousand Law and Order shows, and he questioned something about the which constitutional amendment was in question; something to the affect of "hmm...which amendment is that? I forget"

I said something to the affect of, "it doesn't really matter. Dubya will right one in for you, after he's done wiping his ass with the real one"

Which led to a brief exchange of my far leftist views, and Dad's ability to not stand anywhere, really.

I can get behind the idea of electing a woman to president; I think that'd be awesome, really. But I'm not a fan of Hillary.

Melissa said...

As much as I hate to admit it, I can't imagine a woman winning the presidency right now either. That's just TOO extreme for our country.

vikkitikkitavi said...

I agree, Megan, the first woman president will not be a Democrat.

The only woman that could get elected right now would be a centrist Republican, not a centrist Dem.